Do you ever have those days you don't feel like going to the gym? Maybe it's dreary outside or you don't have a lot of time... That's when these at-home gym must-haves come in handy! You guys know I'm a huge fan of the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The workouts are only 20 minutes! Just 20 minutes! Add a few planks and jump rope to that and volia, you've got a workout as good as any trip to the gym!
Seriously! I never knew how effective a DVD, dumbbells, and 20 minutes could be! I've always really believed in the buddy system and in personal training, so it's a stretch for me to think I can do this on my own, but I must say: I've had a change of heart. With these five must-haves, you (and me!) can have kick-ass workouts in the convenience of our home!
1. DVDs: When moving, I noticed I have the Skinny Bitch bootcamp DVD, but guess this: it's never been opened! (Who else is guilty of this?) Here's the thing: I felt energized at the sight of it! "Oh! A new routine!" I'll admit I got a little tired of doing the Jillian workout everyday. Keep several workout DVDs on hand. They're fairly inexpensive ($10 at Target for these Jillian DVDs), and they last forever!
2. Yoga Mat: Who doesn't need a pretty pink yoga mat? I had a black one for the longest time, but discovered that a bright-colored yoga mat energized me! It got me excited about working out to pull out a pop of pink!
3. Kettle bell ($34 at City Sports): I love working out with a kettle bell because it packs a lot of punch! The kettle bell is a dynamic tool that can take your workouts from 0-10 in no time! Adding a little weight to your routine will get your heart rate up, and it will make you stronger, too! Kettle bells are the sh*t!
4. Jump rope ($8 at Wal-Mart): I LOVE jumping rope! My dad used to make me do it in High School because he said it would make me faster, which I totally didn't believe at the time, but now I do! My personal trainer now loves the jumprope too. He says he jumps rope first thing in the morning to get his heart rate up (and wake up, I guess? I get coffee, but admire his tenacity)! Any little jumping movement is good because it burns calories! Waiting for noodles to boil? Jump rope! Bored during commercials? Jump rope.
5. Free weights ($30 on Amazon.com): I'm one of those people who likes their space very tiddy- if it's laying on the floor, it's not where it should be (i.e. everything has a place)! That's why I love this free weights tower. It's a cute place to always put your weights, rather than stashing them away (where you never see them again!) or trip over them on the living room floor!
What are you at-home must-haves?
What are your favorite at-home workouts?